ZAPBC (“ZAPBC”) is affiliated with the BC SCRAP-IT Program Society (“SCRAP-IT”). SCRAP-IT is a not-for-profit society working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality. SCRAP-IT provides incentives to individuals to adopt cleaner forms of transportation. ZAPBC offers a program (the “EV Charger Program”) in which it provides incentives (“Incentives”) to encourage the installation of electric vehicle chargers (“EV Chargers”).
What is personal information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, including an individual’s name, age, address, phone number, etc.
What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect includes:
• Name; address, city, province, postal code;
• Gender (optional);
• Age (optional);
• Email address(s);
• Telephone number(s);
• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the vehicle customers are currently driving;
• Vehicle related information such as year, make model, fuel type, transmission and engine size;
Also, in order to provide customers with rough estimates, we require information about:
• the type of residence you live in;
• your electrical meter, including pictures which you will upload via our website;
• your wifi (internet connection/connectivity);
• the location of the proposed EV Charger location, including pictures which you will update via our website;
• your current electrical wiring;
• your electric panel(s), its/their location within your home, and pictures of the panel, circuit and circuit directory, which you will upload via our website;
• detailed information about the distance from your electrical panels to the proposed location of the EV Charger (including walls/ground) and details pertaining to them;
We also collect and retain information from you or from our Program Partners (as defined below) with respect to the Incentive that is provided to you, such as invoices, purchase orders or any type of documentation that provides evidence of the installation and activation of an EV Charger.
If you participate in the EV Charger Program and have an EV Charger installed, certain data from the EV Charger (the “EV Charger Data”) is collected by ChargePoint, Inc. (“ChargePoint”), the manufacturer of the Charger. The EV Charger Data is provided by ChargePoint to SCRAP-IT. The EV Charger Data includes:
• the dates and times that the EV Charger is actively charging an electric vehicle;
• the electricity usage and average power draw of the EV Charger, provided in 15 minute intervals; and
• the current status of the connection of the EV Charger to the network operated by ChargePoint.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
ZAPBC collects the personal information because it is required in order to administer the EV Charger Program and because it is required by Program Partners who provide funding for the Incentives.
How do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information that you provide to us when you submit an application to participate in the EV Charger Program or to claim an Incentive. We also obtain the Charger Data from ChargePoint as described above.
How do we use personal information?
ZAPBC uses personal information to determine whether you are eligible to participate in the EV Charger Program or to receive an Incentive.
The Charger Data may be used by ZAPBC to conduct research and to produce reports, publications, and presentations. All personally-identifiable information will remain confidential and will never be disclosed by ZAPBC to any third party.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
ZAPBC may provide personal information to, or receive personal information from, the following organizations (collectively, the “Program Partners”):
• Foreseeson Technology Inc. in order to provide them with your contact information and details regarding your application for an Incentive so that they may assess your installation requirements, provide you with a rough estimate/quote, accept payment from you, proceed to arrange an installation appointment; or any other related action as required to facilitate the installation of an EV Charger;
• ChargePoint in order to share and exchange Charger Data as identified above;
• third party non-governmental funders or sponsors of ZAPBC, including corporations conducting business in the automotive, energy and natural resource industry and their affiliates and subsidiaries;
• federal government ministries, agencies, or contractors which with ZAPBC must transact in order to fulfill the purposes of the Program; and
• BC government ministries, agencies, and contractors or other entities operating within the emission off-set credits or carbon trading marketplace which ZAPBC or SCRAP-IT may transact in order to fulfill the purposes of the Programs.
ZAPBC may also disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by law to do so.
How to we obtain consent to collect, use, and disclose personal information?
ZAPBC only collects, uses, and discloses your personal information with your express or implied consent. Consent can be implied where the purpose for collecting, using, or disclosing the personal information would be considered to be obvious to a reasonable person and the personal information is voluntarily provided for that purpose.
ZAPBC obtains your express consent to collect, use, and disclose personal information by having you select a checkbox indicating your consent on the application form for the EV Charger Program.
How do we store and protect personal information?
We are committed to ensuring the security of your personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or similar risks.
The steps we take to protect your personal information include: operating our Programs from within a secure building with restricted access; maintaining a 90% paper-free office, locking paper copies of personal information in cabinets within secure areas; requiring individual password access for employees working for the Programs; and requiring reasonable IT monitoring, back-up, and security measures and operating policies for all electronic copies of personal information.
How long do we retain personal information?
We retain personal information for as long as is required to fulfill the purposes of the Programs, and/or as long as required by applicable laws. If we use personal information to make a decision that directly affects you, we will retain that personal information for at least year so you have reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
How do we allow individuals to access their personal information?
Individuals have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions.
A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought. A request to access personal information should be forwarded to ZAPBC’s Privacy Officer.
Upon request, we will tell you how we use your personal information and to whom it has been disclosed, if applicable. We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform you of the cost and request further direction from you on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify you in writing and provide the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to you.
How do we ensure the accuracy of personal information?
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about an individual or disclosed to another organization.
Individuals may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought. A request to correct personal information should be forwarded to ZAPBC’s Privacy Officer.
If personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note the individual’s correction request in the file.
If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve your concern, you may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Colombia at:
P.O. Box 9038, Stn Prov Govt